Did you know that adults and children in families make up about 33 percent of the homeless population? Most struggle with incomes that are much less than they need to pay for housing. And many times, a sudden life event such as sickness, job loss or reduced work hours, the economic effects of the of COVID-19 pandemic, an unanticipated bill, or conflict within a home forces families into homelessness. No matter what your circumstances, Home & Hope is here — because every family deserves a home.
If your family is facing homelessness now or in a matter of days, we may be able to help or refer you to an organization that can. To be eligible for housing help, services, and other assistance from Home & Hope, your family needs to:
- Currently be homeless or facing homelessness within one week
- Be at least one adult and one dependent child in the custody of the adult
- Reside in San Mateo County — on the San Francisco Peninsula, from Daly City in the north to East Palo Alto in the south
- Be willing to follow our program rules
- Meet certain other criteria relating to addiction, criminal records, domestic violence, or similar circumstances
If your family meets these criteria and would like to take advantage of Home & Hope’s shelter and assistance program, you’ll first need to contact one of our referral agencies listed below. When you call an agency, get connected with a social worker and ask about Home & Hope of San Mateo County. They can help you arrange an intake with us.
If we have no current openings or if you don’t qualify for Home & Hope for whatever reason, they can recommend temporary resources and other programs to help you and your family get back on your feet.